Installation of 68040 turns system into a pig

Mark F. Flynn FLYNN%EVALUN11.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Thu May 9 00:28:42 AEST 1991

We're running HP-UX 7.05 on an Apollo 400t, and have just installed the
new and wonderful 68040 processor. What we have noticed is that certain
jobs spend from 50% to 90% of their time doing system calls, as opposed
to user time. This is reported both by "time" and a command we have
here called "monitor". I havn't figured out what sort of code actually
produces this yet. So far, we have only seen it on Fortran code, but
this may just be that we havn't run the right (or wrong) C program yet.
Optimization levels have no signifigant effect. Changing the type
of cacheing similar does nothing.

The HP people here havn't a clue. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mark Flynn
FLYNN at EVALUN11.(EARN BITNET)

Departamto de Fisica Atomica y Nuclear