Source code to tar

I am a programmer matt at medicod.UUCP
Tue Nov 27 10:28:56 AEST 1990

We have Excelan networking software running on several machines with
SCO Xenix.  I want to back up from one machine to another that has
an exabyte.  To do this I use:

	rsh Miranda "tar cf - /" | dd of=/dev/exab0 ibs=1 obs=1024

This is all fine and dandy except it is very,very slow.  We tracked the
slowness to dd.  So if we could find another program that will format a
block to tape.  I cannot find one.  If tar read from stdio, we could do
it that way, but it don't.  Now, if I had the source code to tar
then it would read from stdio.  I can program.

So this is my request: Either a copy of the source code to tar

			or
		a way to back up using tcpip without using dd.

USENET uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utah-cs!caeco!medicod!matt