SCO TCP/IP Install *MAJOR* problem: HELP!

Richard A. Muirden s892024 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
Mon Nov 19 17:02:14 AEST 1990

In article <281 at lccinc.UUCP>, bent at lccinc.UUCP (Ben Taylor) writes:
> You don't say what kind of computer you have, but it sounds like you
> have been bitten by the boot problem which occurs when the boot
> program cannot load a kernel bigger than 640k.  I had an old Compaq
> 386/16 that experienced the same problem.

Sorry. I thought that it was implied that I was using a 386 machine.
In fact it's a 386/20 beast.

> You need to get the Xenix Support Level Supplement xnx126 from sosco.
> It is called the Delay Boot supplement.

Thanks very much for this information.

> BTW, the shared memory is not used in the Xenix version of TCP/IP.

It would be nice if SCO would include this in their documentation. I find
this to not be very good...

It is also interesting to note that after re-installing Streams and TCP/IP
*WITHOUT* an ethernet card in the machine (and installing the driver), the
kernel and OS loaded OK (hrmph - load factor 5.5 indeed!) It seems stupid
that the system could handle all the stuff without the card but then crash
when the card is installed. I realise that this implies that the kernel is
'smart' and does not include the driver code if it can't find an ethernet
card however it seems that the increase in code usage is not much. Oh well,
system administration (even if I am a starter) wasn't meant to be easy!

btw. SCO could have told people about this bug as well... mighty annoying.
I would prob. go for another product had we not spent the money investing
in Xenix in the first place.

-Richard

Richard Muirden,                         |Humble Computer Science Student &
System Administrator,                    |Star Trek Fan!
Wesley College Melbourne (Prahran Campus)+--My opinions are my own-----------
mail: ram at lionet.wesley.OZ.AU            |mail: s892024 at minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU