Need help with dialin

Jay A. Snyder jay at gdx.UUCP
Fri Nov 30 12:13:50 AEST 1990

>In article <68 at gdx.UUCP> jay at gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:
>>I'm using a Smart One 2400 hayes compatable modem.
>>I have it setup so that the modem answers properly, but as soon as the
>>modem answers, I get a console message:
>>serial: ERROR: Garbage or loose cable on dev 0, port shut down
>
>You should have the modem's power-up state configured for no command
>echo (ATE0) and no response codes (ATQ1).  Otherwise, Xenix will get
>stuff like "RING" and "CONNECT" which it assumes is garbage.

I already have powerup state set for no command echo or response
codes.  The problem with with the ring detect line.  Apparently, the
SCO tty drivers don't know how to handle the ring detect interrupts,
and barf when they get them.  I have been informed that there is a fix
(xnx128) for this from SCO:

        Dear SCO Customer,

        Enclosed is Support Level Supplement (SLS) xnx128.  This floppy
        contains a set of modified SCO XENIX files which will allow an
        internal modem to answer incoming calls.  Previously the error
        message "Garbage or loose cable on serial dev <x>, port shut
        down" was displayed on the console when ever the modem attempted
        to answer a call.  Serial dev <x> is either a zero or eight.
        Zero for /dev/tty1a (COM1), or eight for /dev/tty2a (COM2).

        This supplement is for SCO XENIX 286 Operating System Release
        2.2.3 and SCO XENIX 386 Operating System Release 2.3.0, 2.3.1,
        2.3.1 only.  In order to install this supplement, the Link Kit
        must be installed.  If the Link Kit is not installed on your
        system, or if you are not sure, refer to custom(C) in your SCO
        XENIX System V Operating System User's Reference manual.  To
        install this supplement, please follow the steps outlined below:

                1. Login as root.
                2. Make sure that you are in the root directory.

                   cd / <RETURN>

                3. Type the command:

                   /etc/install <RETURN>

                4. Type "y" at the prompt for the first floppy.
                5. Follow the instructions on the console.
                6. Reboot the machine using the reboot(C) command:

                   /etc/reboot <RETURN>

        If you have any questions, please call our Customer Services
        Department at (800) 626 - 4381.  SCO Customer Service is
        available Monday through Friday, 6:00 A.M.  to 5:00 P.M., Pacific
        Time.

        We appreciate your business.

        SCO Support Services

        JG:akb/4-89