need help putting a xenix node on a novell network

William Bader X84508 wbader at islsun1.mse.lehigh.edu
Fri Nov 30 08:47:55 AEST 1990

I need help configuring a unix network.

We have a database program that runs under unix and msdos.  The msdos
version has a windows front end, so our usual system is a 386 running
sco xenix 386 connected to a network of 286 systems running windows
under msdos.  On the xenix system, we run xenix-net on top of excelan
lan workplace for xenix.  On the msdos systems, we have the excelan
package for msdos.  All of the database building is done on the xenix
system.  The msdos systems are clients, and they only read a few files
on the xenix disk.  In fact, the msdos programs don't even know that they
are running over a network.

Basically, all I need is some way to view the xenix disk as a drive letter
under msdos (something like 'net use').

I have two problems:
1) Excelan no longer sells anything for xenix.
2) We have a novell network with a dedicated 386 server and about 40 286 nodes
that we use to run another windows based package that we want to run at the
same time we are running our database program so we can exchange data
between them.

What packages do I need to make this work?

I did not get the 386 database server system yet, but I can get whatever
version of xenix or unix, and whatever network hardware and software
that would be necessary.  I would rather not modify the novell server,
but I could if I had to.  Loading more network software on the 286
novell clients might cause memory problems, and could be too expensive
since I would need 40 copies.  Adding a second network card to the 286
novell clients is not possible because most of them have no free slots.

William Bader
phone: 215-837-8485
fax:   215-837-8080
email: wbader at scarecrow.csee.lehigh.edu