floundering

Dylan Rhodes shark at asylum.SF.CA.US
Tue Nov 6 13:38:28 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct30.202445.3720 at ucselx.sdsu.edu> stark at ucselx.sdsu.edu (Brian D. Stark) writes:
>After installing XENIX 2.3.1 on a 386 33mhz machine, and playing with it
>awhile I have run into the following snares, and would greatly appreciate
>anyones input, (Please keep it nice :-)).
>
>1) Using a computone multi-serial (8) board we are unable to configure
>   the board to accept modem dial-ins.  We have been able to set up
>   dumb terminals to the board without problem.  Our XENIX documentation
>   states that modem lines are only supported on COM1 and COM2.
>   The Computone Documentation, believes otherwise, but hasn't
>   been able to back this up yet.  If anyone familiar with Computone
>   boards has any info, please let us know (an 800 # for Computone would
>   be great).

	Although the documentation does say this, it is incorrect.  With
my multi-port board, I use the modem-control tty's (in the Digiboard's
case, ttyi1A-ttyi1H) to talk to my modems with no problems.

>2) When dialing in from COM2 our connect doesn't seem to be cycling through
>   to the correct baud rate i.e. if I'm enabled at mode 2 (1200>>2400>>300)
>   I can login at 1200 baud, but get garbage at 2400. I get the opposite
>   results in mode 3 (2400>>300>>1200).  I've tried fiddling with the
>   gettydefs file but haven't got any positive results, any suggestions?

	Do you mean that the modem doesn't cycle even when the user
sends a BREAK character?  I've noticed similar results, but telling users
to hit BREAK (or their comm program's equivalent) works.  I haven't
been able to get the modem to cycle automatically - I'm not sure if it's
possible under Xenix.

--
-= Dylan Rhodes.  decwrl!asylum!herctec!shark or shark at herctec.com =-
-= I really should be doing something a bit more useful right now. =-