Can a 386 w/xenix support 20 light users?

Keith Burton jkb at ms.uky.edu
Fri Nov 2 10:19:34 AEST 1990

I have a customer who's wanting to use a '386 based system to run a xenix
project.  The project will involve 20 terminals, but is very light duty.

The terminals will be manned by people filling in screens in response to
questions they will ask drop-in clients.  Only around 6-8 of the terminals
will actually be active at any time, and the workload should be next to
nothing (ask a question, wait while the client figures out what to say,
fill in the field, ask the next question...).

The customer is dead-set on staying with a 386 or 486, as they had a TERRIBLE
experience with a mini system years back and won't even consider them anymore.
After that, they made a corporate committment to stick with PC hardware.

I've worked with some xenix systems before, but have never seen a PC-based
system with 20 terminals on it.  I'd appreciate knowing first, if it can be
done and second, if so, what i/o cards are best for such an application.

All this data will be updating several databases.  I've got a free hand here,
as long as the package is SQL-compatable.  I'd also welcome recommendations
in that area.

Thanks!
Keith Burton