Hanging up + resetting the modem from a script file?

Cliff Stanford demon at ibmpcug.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 10:22:30 AEST 1990

In article <6292 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s892024 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) writes:
> I need to write a routine that checks to see if anyone is logged on via
> the modem (on tty1A) and if not, reset it and hang it up. This is for
> a cron job that would run every hour or so. Does anyone have any ideas
> on how to tell the modem to hangup and reset (ie: sending ATH0/ATZ to it)?
> I've tried uuchat but this doesn't give the correct results. Any help would
> be great!

	You don't say what kind of a modem but most can be made
to reset on dropping DTR.  It should be possible simply to kill
the getty on the line, thus dropping DTR, and then the modem will
reset automatically ready for the next getty that's respawned.

	Regards,
		Cliff.
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not
Cliff Stanford                                cms at demon.co.uk
Demon Systems Limited                         demon at ibmpcug.co.uk
42 Hendon Lane                                demon at cix.co.uk
London N3 1TT - England                       +44 81 349 0063