Hanging up + resetting the modem from a script file?

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.masa.com
Wed Nov 21 05:35:48 AEST 1990

In article <6292 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> Richard A. Muirden writes:
>I need to write a routine that checks to see if anyone is logged on via
>the modem (on tty1A) and if not, reset it and hang it up. This is for
>a cron job that would run every hour or so. Does anyone have any ideas
>on how to tell the modem to hangup and reset (ie: sending ATH0/ATZ to it)?
>I've tried uuchat but this doesn't give the correct results. Any help would
>be great!

Try running `disable tty1A;enable tty1A' from cron (or some script).
Disable and enable will refuse to do anything if there is someone logged
in; they will reset the modem (drop DTR, raise DTR, run uuchat to setup
for dialin/login/etc) if no one is currently logged in.

Hope this helps.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh at marob.masa.com