Making/Using Filesystems under 2.2.1?? (SOS)

Chris Hansen hansenc at jasper.cs.orst.edu
Mon Nov 12 18:44:20 AEST 1990

(Sorry about the last post; seems my Pnews is on the fritz)...

Being accustom to BSD versions of Unix, I'm very confused about how
to create separate file systems with Xenix 2.2.1.  We just replaced
our hard drives and I was surprised to find that I could only have one
partition active at any given time.  In other words, I had to make
one huge formatted partition for our new disk.

When trying to restore from streamer tape, I can only "restore a
complete backup archive onto a clear file system."  The manual then
gives the example

	/etc/mkfs /dev/hd1 10000
	restore r /dev/hd1

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

When I follow those directions, I can make a filesystem, but I can't
access it.  I end up with a huge regular file called /dev/hd1 with no
linkage to the existing file system (/dev/root).  I can't mount it
because it's not a block special file, and mknod doesn't seem to do
what I want either.

There must be something very basic that I'm overlooking, or that the
manual never explains properly.

Please respond through e-mail, and if there's interest, I'll post a
summary.

 - Chris