GCC bug (?) using -O

antonio pastore antoniop at cernvax.cern.ch
Wed Nov 7 20:18:24 AEST 1990

I got the two post of GCC/GAS (+GDB on the last one) and it works great!
I would also thank the Author of the port for his wonderful work.

Unfortunately I run into a problem compiling my 7000 lines program using
-O option. Both posting of GCC generated code which crash the program with
"protection violation" error, always exactly in same place. Without
optimization, the programs works fine. Although I had no time to deeply
indagate on the problem, it seems that some routine is overwriting
a couple of location in which are saved the values of the EBX register.
When EBX is restored and used again, the program crashes.

I wonder if somebody already run in any problem using -O option.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Antonio Pastore

| Antonio Pastore                  | CERN - CN/CE/MS Microprocessor Support |
| E-Mail: antoniop at cernvax.cern.ch | 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland (Europe)   |