SCO XENIX 2.3 & ESDI controllers

John Romkey romkey at asylum.SF.CA.US
Wed Nov 14 06:19:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov13.051029.29272 at ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc0281 at ucselx.sdsu.edu (Luis A. Gonzalez) writes:
>  I'm running XENIX 2.3 with two RLL drives and a DTC 7287 comtroller.
>Do I need to rebuild the kernel on this machine before I can install the
>system on a machine running of a WD-1007 ESDI controller?

I installed a WD1007 on asylum without doing any kernel changes. I'm
running my WD1007 as my second disk controller, and an RLL controller
as my first one, and it works fine. I did, a little later on, install
the xnx133 fix, for no particular reason other than that it applied to
the WD1007. I never saw any effects I would attribute to its presence
or the lack thereof.

By the way, if you're using a large disk, > 1024 cylinders, Xenix can
access the higher cylinders without you remapping the disk geometry on
the controller. This is important, because the largest remapped disk
you can have is 512MB (64 sectors/track * 16 heads * 1024 cylinders =
536,870,912) and you can get some 600MB to 1.2 GB ESDI drives. I'm
running a 660MB fujitsu drive here. DOS, however, will not be able to
get beyond cylinder 1024 because of limitations in its internal device
driver interfaces.
--
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey at asylum.sf.ca.us	FAX: 415 594-1141