Setup - recognize 3 1/2 drive

Ge van Geldorp ge at dutlru1.tudelft.nl
Fri Nov 16 10:00:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov12.234521.3394 at csvax.cs.ukans.edu>
mckinley at csvax.cs.ukans.edu writes:
>I have installed SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a i386 before and had it
>recognize the alternate floppy (1) as being a 3 1/2 high
>density drive, but cannot repeat what I did. Can anybody clue
>me in on how to tell the OS about the other drive's type?

Having received this information recently from some kind netters (thanks,
guys!) I suppose it is my turn to pass it on.
I assume that during startup you see both drives listed in the list of
devices (two %floppy lines there). Then, the only thing which remains to be
done is add the devices to the /dev directory. You can do this by executing
commands like:

   ln /dev/rfd196ds18 /dev/rfd1135ds18
   ln /dev/rfd1135ds18 /dev/rfd1
   ln /dev/fd196ds18 /dev/fd1135ds18
   ln /dev/fd1135ds18 /dev/fd1

This works because both 96 tpi (1.2M 5.25 in) and 135 tpi (1.44M 3.5 in) drives
are 80 track drives.

Ge van Geldorp.
ge at dutlru2.tudelft.nl
...!uunet!hp4nl!dutlru2.tudelft.nl!ge