Setup - recognize 3 1/2 drive

Aryeh M. Weiss aryeh at eddie.mit.edu
Fri Nov 16 10:04:40 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov12.234521.3394 at csvax.cs.ukans.edu> mckinley at csvax.cs.ukans.edu writes:
>I have installed SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a i386 before and had it
>recognize the alternate floppy (1) as being a 3 1/2 high
>density drive, but cannot repeat what I did. Can anybody clue
>me in on how to tell the OS about the other drive's type?
>--
>Chuck McKinley            mckinley at csvax.cs.ukans.edu

There are two things:

(1) you must enter the info into your cmos and reboot.  This can
	be done via the cmos(HW) command.  CMOS byte location 0x10 is
	the floppy disk setup the high-order 4-bits (nybble) is the
	first (A:) drive and the low-order is the second (B:).
   Say
	cmos 0x10
   to view the floppy byte.  You can change the value via
	cmos 0x10 0x24
   which would set the floppy configuration for the
	A: drive to 5.25 high density and B: to 3.5 high density.
   The nybble values are: 0=no drive, 1=5.25 low density, 2=5.25 high,
	3=3.5 low, 4=3.5 high.
   Then reboot the system.

(2) you must use the /dev/fd1135ds18 device.  Check /etc/default/tar
	and /etc/default/msdos for the default drives used for tar and
	dos commands.  You can link (via ln) various names to these
	devices.