IDE controllers

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Wed Nov 28 04:42:00 AEST 1990

aris at tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) writes:

>I can't speak for other manufacturers, but the AST on-board IDE
>controller is brilliant.  I would reccoment it any time above
>MFM/RLL/ESDI (maybe not SCSI though.. :-)

	Preliminary evaluation of our own AST 386/33 with a CMS 120 MB IDE
show less than "brilliant" performance. Indeed, both the Norton SI and
Columbia TESTDISK benchmarks show this combination running slower than my
NEC 386/20 (nothing special, by the way) running a WD1006V and CDC 94205-51
MFM. That holds whether I have software cache (Microsoft's SmartDrive)
enabled or disabled.