IDE controllers

Alex Pournelle alex at grian.cps.altadena.ca.us
Tue Nov 27 20:09:32 AEST 1990

davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <1990Nov21.093114.15468 at grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex at grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

>| You would do well to avoid XENIX and IDE drives.  I have a system with
>| just this configuration--and it will lock up every 6 to 8 hours
>| unpredictably with the hard-disk access light on.

>  Do you have SLS xnx133 installed? While billed as a fix for the
>WD1007, it also fixes lockup problems with a number of other controllers
>(WD1006, for instance), and may be useful in your case. Since it's free
>you have nothing to lose putting it in.

I got it from a kind system engineer/support guy at SCO.  I have not yet
tested it to destruction (the system's running with an 80 Mbyte MFM;
goot enough til we get this stomped).  He also sent me a script which
continuously reads/writes to the drive, to test it with.

I must say, once you get past the daunting call-in system, and the
reputation for off-putting in system support, SCO can be reasonably
nice.  Admittedly, I don't like the "30 days free support" fooraw; who
can say how much support they `should' give you, though?

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others