IDE controllers

Aris Stathakis aris at tabbs.UUCP
Sun Nov 25 21:06:53 AEST 1990

In <1990Nov21.093114.15468 at grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex at grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

>jan at bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) writes:

>I speak from experience...

So do I...

>You would do well to avoid XENIX and IDE drives.  I have a system with
>just this configuration--and it will lock up every 6 to 8 hours
>unpredictably with the hard-disk access light on.

I have had the totally opposite experience.  When using AST Premium
386 machines with the IDE controller on the motherboard, the system
(using SCO UNIX 3.2.2) absolutley FLIES.  The transfer rate is really
good (though I haven't benchmarked it - you can notice the difference).

>....Short end: if you want to experiment, use IDE.  If you want
>stability, use something else.

I can't speak for other manufacturers, but the AST on-board IDE
controller is brilliant.  I would reccoment it any time above
MFM/RLL/ESDI (maybe not SCSI though.. :-)

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris at tabbs.UUCP