SCO XENIX 2.3.2 on i486

cliff bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Sat Nov 3 21:07:38 AEST 1990

In article <3037 at artcom0.north.de> pf at artcom0.north.de (Peter Funk) writes:
>In <18 at dhump.lakesys.COM>
>	mort at dhump.lakesys.COM (Marty Wiedmeyer) asked:
>
>mw> We have SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and I have been asked to install it on an
>mw> NCR PC486/MC25.
>
>mw> 1)	Does it run? I know ODT runs, but it's UNIX, not XENIX.
>
>We have succesfully installed SCO Xenix 2.3.2 GT on a number of
>
>But we discovered a serious Problem: Together with a number of device
>drivers the size kernel image grows over the mythical limit of 640 kB.
>Also this should be no longer a problem since release 2.3.0 (see pg. 62
>on "Large Kernel Support" in Release Notes of 2.3.) we got the following
>error message :
>
>      Not enough physical memory for the kernel!
>
>The board was equipped with an Award BIOS.  On an old 80386/25
>equipped with an American Megatrends BIOS the same kernel boots well.

I'm not sure if this is the cause but we are using a "no-name" clone and also
had problems with a too large kernel not booting.  It has to do with switching
out of real mode to put code (or loader) above 1 Meg.  SCO has a fix called the
"slow boot" fix that will cure the problem (if that is your problem.)  I've
been told that it has to do with pin 20 changing modes and is timing sensitive.

Cliff