Need help with dialin

Ralf Holighaus ralfi at pemstgt.PEM-Stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 28 22:50:40 AEST 1990

jay at gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:

>I'm using a Smart One 2400 hayes compatable modem.
>I have it setup so that the modem answers properly, but as soon as the
>modem answers, I get a console message:
>serial: ERROR: Garbage or loose cable on dev 0, port shut down

>getty doesn't seem to function
>if I do: stty </dev/tty1A after this message then getty will function
>and the user can login.

>Any ideas?

Try to send a ATE0Q1 command to your modem for initialization.
If not, your modem would, prior to rising the DTR line, send character
replies to getty, which does not expect to receive data (no DTR!). So
getty treats this data as garbage from the line and therefore closed
down the line.

rgds
Ralf Holighaus
--
Programmentwicklung fuer    Microcomputer |         Ralf U. Holighaus
PO-Box 810165        Vaihinger Strasse 49 |         >> PEM Support <<