Renaming filesystems/partitions

Ed Hew edhew at xenitec.on.ca
Sat Sep 1 13:44:02 AEST 1990

In article <1793 at utoday.UUCP> sean at utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
>Yesterday I did an install of Xenix 2.3 on a 150M hard drive and
>decided afterward I had mixed up the partitions. Basically, I added
>things up, and it turned out that my /usr/spool partition was about
>the size I wanted my /u partition to be, and /u was about the size I
>wanted /usr/spool to be. These were named spool (mounted on
>/usr/spool) and u (mounted on /u).
>
>So, I renamed the /dev files (both b and c), yet when the filesystems
>come up, I still get messages like:
>
>WARNING: Mounted <u> on </usr/spool> ...

Most likely you didn't make the relative changes req'd in
/etc/default/filesys .

>There doesn't seem to be any functional difference that I've noted,
>but the naming could cause some problems. Any idea how to truly rename
>the partitions short of doing another install?

I'd suggest doing a	man divvy
  and a			man mkfs

(note that if you do a mkfs, you will wipe out all data in that
 filesystem and will have to restore from tape).  You will also
 have to do a "mkdev fs" unless you wish to create the mount
 point and lost+found dirs by hand as well as editing
 /etc/default/filesys and /etc/checklist yourself.  It's not
 all that difficult, you should just RTFM *before* you start.
		:-)

The last time I made the mistake you did (choosing the wrong
f/s name), I simply edited /etc/default/filesys to have things
mounted where I did want them and left it at that.  Not eloquent,
but much simpler, knowing full well that in a few months I'll
likely remake everything on a still-larger drive all over again.

>Sean Fulton    			      uunet!utoday!sean

  Ed. A. Hew      SCO Authorized Instructor      XeniTec Consulting Services
  edhew at xenitec.on.ca  | ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!edhew   |  (519) 570-9848
	   (sco.opendesktop newsgroup <=> mlist gateway maintainer)