Renaming filesystems/partitions

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Sat Sep 1 06:37:05 AEST 1990

sean at utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:

>Yesterday I did an install of Xenix 2.3 on a 150M hard drive and
>decided afterward I had mixed up the partitions. Basically, I added
>things up, and it turned out that my /usr/spool partition was about
>the size I wanted my /u partition to be, and /u was about the size I
>wanted /usr/spool to be. These were named spool (mounted on
>/usr/spool) and u (mounted on /u).

>So, I renamed the /dev files (both b and c), yet when the filesystems
>come up, I still get messages like:

>WARNING: Mounted <u> on </usr/spool> ...

>There doesn't seem to be any functional difference that I've noted,
>but the naming could cause some problems. Any idea how to truly rename
>the partitions short of doing another install?

Use DIVVY:

	divvy -c 1 -b 1

One of the options is to change the name of a partition.  That is, there
are lots of things that you can change about each partition (name, start,
end, file system, new).  You want to change ONLY the name.  This will not
mess up any file systems you currently have, but will change the label
associated with that partition.  Then you won't get those nasty messages
any longer.