Renaming filesystems/partitions

Bob McGowen x4312 dept208 bob at wyse.wyse.com
Sat Sep 1 07:27:51 AEST 1990

In article <3315 at awdprime.UUCP> tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain/32767) writes:
>In article <1793 at utoday.UUCP> sean at utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
---
>>but the naming could cause some problems. Any idea how to truly rename
>>the partitions short of doing another install?
>
>Will fdisk allow you to rename them?

I missed the original posting (having just subscibed) so the original
question is guessed at.

Have you looked at the command __labelit__??  At least on SysVR3.2 it is
described as providing a means of name filesystems on disk or tape(for
backups).  I do not expect this would work to name an fdisk partition,
but fdisk will usually give you a listing with the type (UNIX, DOS, XENIX
etc.) so it may not be necessary.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com