Using COM3 under SCO XENIX

CAT-TALK Maint. Account cat at tygra.UUCP
Wed Sep 19 17:15:00 AEST 1990

In article <3446 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> spiesman at amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
}I have added a mouse to my i386 XENIX system. I put it on
}the COM2 serial port. I find that my I/O board cannot
}be configured for COM1 and COM2 use; only a COM2/COM3
}or COM1/COM4 combination. Thus I must add a new device
}to my system (COM3 = tty3a = tty3A). Has anybody had
}any experience with this? I tried a variety of things:
}mkdev, mknod+manual editting of /etv/ttys and /etc/ttytype,
}but I cannot get this new device to function. All that
}happens is that a new tty3a,tty3A device shows up in the
}/dev directory, but when I try to use it (cu or kermit) I
}get a 'no such device/address' message.
}

There is only one motherboard which supports COM3 and COM4 in the BIOS.
(ie: only one in which you can define those ports in the CMOS config.)
and I think its made by WYSE.

XENIX wont be able to see the ports if they're not listed in the CMOS
config. and that can only be done with this one board. When you use
mkdev serial, you'll notice that it gives you COM3 and COM4 as options
when it asks "What COM port is this". This was a hack to mkdev serial
for this one case only.

There is a way to hack the system configuration file to recognize the
ports, but I don't have it handy. I tried it and couldn't get it to
work. SCO will not "support" kernels which have been so hacked and will
ask you to remove the hack if/when you are trying to troubleshoot another
problem and ask for their assistance. All of this info was given to me
by SCO when I called and asked about COM3 and COM4.

Could someone from SCO verify/correct this??
jpp at ddmi.com