Using COM3 under SCO XENIX

Dmitry V. Volodin dvv at hq.demos.su
Thu Sep 20 06:06:52 AEST 1990

In article <402 at tygra.UUCP> cat at tygra.UUCP (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) writes:
>In article <3446 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> spiesman at amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>}I have added a mouse to my i386 XENIX system. I put it on
>}the COM2 serial port. I find that my I/O board cannot
>}be configured for COM1 and COM2 use; only a COM2/COM3
>}or COM1/COM4 combination. Thus I must add a new device
>}to my system (COM3 = tty3a = tty3A). Has anybody had
>}any experience with this? I tried a variety of things:
>}mkdev, mknod+manual editting of /etv/ttys and /etc/ttytype,
>}but I cannot get this new device to function. All that
>}happens is that a new tty3a,tty3A device shows up in the
>}/dev directory, but when I try to use it (cu or kermit) I
>}get a 'no such device/address' message.
>}

Don't try to make it tty3a. Just change the I/O port for
IBM COM1 in the /usr/sys/io/sioconf.c to that of COM3,
make the kernel (in /usr/sys/conf), reboot and use the
COM3 as tty1a. Good luck.

>       --- STUFF DELETED ---
>XENIX wont be able to see the ports if they're not listed in the CMOS
>config. and that can only be done with this one board. When you use
>mkdev serial, you'll notice that it gives you COM3 and COM4 as options
>when it asks "What COM port is this". This was a hack to mkdev serial
>for this one case only.

Bullshit. That's what XENIX thinks about CMOS ;^) Yeah, really, when
XENIX boots, the kernel initializing code calls sio_init to set up
the sio driver, which in turn peeks all the ports mentioned in sioconf.c
and figures out which boards are on place.

BTW, the XENIX sio driver goes crazy when working with some INTERNAL(?)
modems when there is an incoming call. Garbage on line etc. Any ideas?