Japanese fep for Xenix

Richard L. Goerwitz goer at quads.uchicago.edu
Sun Sep 16 15:07:23 AEST 1990

Ucbked at athena.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:

>Doubtless there will be some (many?) who will respond to this posting
>the way the US auto industry responded to the first Japanese autos in
>the 1960s.  On the other hand, I hope that there might be one or two
>souls out there who recognize that not all the world wishes to relate
>to its computers in American accented ascii.

This is a word to the wise which will surely go unheeded.  The prob-
lem is simple.  Most Americans haven't the faintest idea what another
language really is, still less how to prepare for an international
market in which using them - often several in the same environment -
is all about.  I am constantly astonished at how our terminals can't
even shift in and out of left-right/right-left/up-down wordwrap me-
thods, and, moreover, at how the designers don't even understand why
a terminal so constructed might not fare well in a long-term inter-
national market.  I recall going through this same problem in the X
newsgroup, and being met with a lot of snide put-downs.

-Richard