Getting Fsanalyze to compile on Xenix

neal at mnopltd.UUCP neal at mnopltd.UUCP
Wed Jan 30 15:28:54 AEST 1991

[ Deleted reference wherein the original author of FSANALYSE wrote me to note
that the version on anomaly was perhaps two years old.  And that one needed
to activate a define which was not in the makefile. ]

->
->>Umm...thanks.  Perhaps Mr. Anomaly would like an up to date one also for his
->>alleged compatible archive.
->
->The version of FSANALYZE which we have on our system compiled on our system,
->and runs fine as well. In fact, I just recompiled it as I typed this message,
->and it compiled fine with minor warnings.
->
->Now, if inept people cannot duplicate our success, that is their problem.

Aren't we getting a bit touchy?   (perhaps both of us?)   Perhaps eptness
is not the variable at work here.    I hope we never have to work together
to solve a _real_ problem...

->
->>If Mr. Anomaly can't get the
->>right version, he might at least include these notes in his blurb.

The notes I was hoping related to my experience that the suggested devices
mentioned in the README file simply won't work.   As you can see, the device
in the README is 0s2; the one that works is /dev/root; they aren't the same
minor number; at least on my supposedly standard configuration.   Or is that
in my imagination also?

	brw-rw-rw-   2 sysinfo  sysinfo    1,  0 Jan 11 21:11 /dev/dsk/0s0
	brw-r--r--   2 sysinfo  sysinfo    1, 23 Jan 11  1989 /dev/dsk/0s2
	brw-r--r--   1 sysinfo  sysinfo    1, 40 Dec  9 12:27 /dev/root

I thought the purpose of news and archives is to save someone else from
beating their head against the exact same wall.

->Of course, Mr. Inept doesn't have to access the system to download the
->software in the first place, if he can't exercise some brain cells to figure
->out what is wrong with his system configuration.

I had a snappy answer to that but I don't see it being productive.   You are
indeed entitled to your opinion.    Be aware that our system is absolutely
vanilla as god and SCO shipped it with no gnu extras installed, and there are
likely many other such systems.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal