If you have Xenix 386, run this for me

Kevin Davies kevin at iisat.uucp
Fri Jan 18 10:56:59 AEST 1991

In article <10988 at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, bt455s39 at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
> In article <1991Jan16.094432.21159 at eng.ufl.edu> jc at joker.mil.ufl.edu (Jim Castleberry) writes:
> >As much as I despise benchmark hype, I hate to ask this, but I'm
> >looking at a throughput problem and need a reference.
> [....]
> >controller type, and disk type if you know them.  I expect it to take
> >between 10 seconds and 2 minutes.
> >
> >I have 1 MFM drive and 1 SCSI (on separate controllers).  Both drives
> >do only 93k per second out of a possible 400+!  Is Xenix really that
> >slow???

> ...................  That's approximately 286K per second.  The Adaptec
> is rated at about 900K/Sec. and utilities like The Power Meter under
> DOS reaffirm that fact.  That's a big difference in speed between the
> two operating systems.

To make things more accurate to a 'hardware' level, which is what
most of these utilities do, you should use /dev/hd00 and not /dev/rhd00
I did just a quickie test of ~2.7MB and got the following :
	/dev/hd00 -- ~ 13s
	/dev/rhd00 - ~ 33s

I think this accounts for the large difference. hd00 is the block
device, which is faster than the character device of rhd00

--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!kevin
Bitnet/Uucp: kevin at iisat.uucp