If you have Xenix 386, run this for me

Jim Stratton stratton at hpcupt1.cup.hp.com
Fri Jan 18 05:04:36 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.xenix.sco, jc at joker.mil.ufl.edu (Jim Castleberry) writes:

> Someone with Xenix 386 do me a favor and try the following on your
> machine (you'll have to be root to open the device).
>       dd if=/dev/rhd00 of=/dev/null bs=100k count=100
> It's absolutely harmless - just reading 10 meg into the bit bucket.
> I'd like to know how many seconds it took, plus your Xenix version,
> controller type, and disk type if you know them.  I expect it to take
> between 10 seconds and 2 minutes.

I timed this test on my system with the following results (averaged over
3 runs):

        SCO Xenix 2.3.3    SCO Unix/V 3.2.2

Real:           44.0            14.9
User:            0.0             0.0
Sys:             2.1             6.3

Vitals are: 4MB 25Mhz 386; Maxtor XT-4380E 380MB ESDI drive, 1:1 interleave,
Adaptec controller.  The drive specs claim 18ms avg seek time.

I have both Xenix and Unix installed on this drive -- I'm in the process
of converting over to Unix.  And with these rather illuminating results,
I'm going to hasten my conversion!

Jim Stratton    stratton at hpodb02.cup.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard Company