Logging off idle users under SCO Xenix

Bob Willey bob at consult.UUCP
Wed Jan 9 00:20:43 AEST 1991

In article <645 at quad.sialis.com> dts at quad.sialis.com (David Sandberg) writes:
>I need to find a program which will automatically log out users
>who haven't touched their terminals in a certain length of time.
>I've heard of a program called untamo from the comp.sources.unix
>archives which does this, but my impression is that it is rather
>BSD-dependent.  If anyone has a SCO Xenix 2.3.2 solution to this
>quandray, I would be very grateful to them if they'd fill me in.
>(Yes, I have the development system, so source is an option.)
> \\         David Sandberg         \     ,=,       ,=,           \\
> \\  uunet!umn-cs!sialis!quad!dts  \     `=\       `='           \\

I think that this is something of importance to a lot of users
out there.  Posting is in order I feel.

There is an option in SCO Xenix 2.3.2 called idleout, where you
can specify a time in minutes and if there is no activity on that
terminal for the specified time limit, it will cancel the process.
The downside is in the exact implementation.  I works on keyboard
input.  i.e.  If you haven't touched the keyboard in XX minutes
you get logged out.  The danger is that if you set the time for
say 120 minutes and run a long posting sequence that does not prompt
for any input and takes 3 hours to run, at 2 hrs into the posting you
will be logged out, and the posting terminated.  This can be disastrous.

It does works just as advertised so it is not broken.  Just not what
a lot of us were looking for in its implementation.

Hope this helps.