Xenix + DOS in office of friend

Mike Stefanik/78125 mike at bria.AIX
Wed Jan 2 13:15:14 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan1.032757.1967 at midway.uchicago.edu>, goer at quads.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) writes:

[deleted]
> Basically the situation is this:  There is a < 2 MIPS mini with 1
> meg of main memory and a 40 meg fixed disk serving a small office
> of about ten people.  They want to upgrade.  The question is to
> what?  Do they install a minicomputer (50-100k)?  Too expensive
> for them, and they don't have enough users.  They would like to use
> popular micro-based word processors (e.g. WordPerfect), but in or-
> der to keep everyone connected to their central constituent data-
> base, they would need to install a network of some kind.  The worry
> there, though, is how seamlessly the networked database will inte-
> grate with the separate PC environments.
[deleted]

I work for a company that does multiuser accounting packages and a good
portion of my life is upgrading old IRIS systems to our UNIX platform.
A vast majority of our clients who have upgraded their system have gone
for 386's or 486's running SCO XENIX 2.3.  Now, many of these same
clients were thinking along the lines of PC networks because they also
liked their WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3.  The solutions that we offer
for a ten-user system with WP and Lotus are along these lines:

	80386 running SCO XENIX 2.3.2
	Minimum of 12M of memory (preferably 16M)
	Minimum of 320M of disk (preferably 600M)
	320M tape deck
	24 port Equinox, with Wyse WY60 terminals as replacements
	WordPerfect 5.0 (UNIX flavor)
	Lotus 1-2-3 (UNIX flavor)

For those poor souls that *insist* on running other DOS applications, we'll
install that wonderful kludge known as SCO VP/ix.

As far as accessing your database, since you have only ten users, a
centralized solution makes more sense (IMHO) than some flaky PC network.