Low uucp performance with fast modems

WSHB Operations Eng michaelb at wshb.csms.com
Thu Jan 17 02:29:01 AEST 1991

>>> transfers I seem to get something like 500-600 chars per second. This
>>> seems a little pale to me.
>>No, that's about what you get when you run UUCP over a V.32 modem.
>>Try buying a Telebit modem, which includes UUCP spoofing, and watch
>>throughput jump to 1300cps or so.
>Is this true if there is not a telebit on the other end of the
>connection???

I have found that the only reliable numbers you can use for the Telebit
are the inbound figures. The Telebits tend to buffer the data on outbound
transfers giving very unrealistic figures when uucico does its calculations.

For example, I connect to a site on Saipan in the Pacific every night.
We both have Telebit T-2500s. Both of us show outbound traffic at over
800 cps but inbound traffic between 200-300 cps. (Don't be fooled by these
low numbers. At least the modems can make and hold a connection. The 2400
baud modem I have can't connect at all.) The difference between outbound
and inbound seems to be simply the buffering effect of the Telebit on
the outbound files.

Michael
--
Michael Batchelor--Systems/Operations Engineer #compliments and complaints
WSHB - An International Broadcast Station of   #   letterbox at csms.com
 The Christian Science Monitor Syndicate, Inc. #technical questions and reports
michaelb at wshb.csms.com         +1 803 625 4880 #   letterbox-tech at csms.com