Low uucp performance with fast modems

Bill Blue root at crash.cts.com
Wed Jan 16 18:44:07 AEST 1991

In <1991Jan14.200720.19818 at holos0.uucp> wdh at holos0.uucp (Weaver Hickerson) writes:
}Somebody wrote
}>> I have been using a V32 9600 baud modem with SCO Xenix 2.3.2. The
}>> transfer to our feed is (of course) uucp. When checking figures for
}>> transfers I seem to get something like 500-600 chars per second. This
}>> seems a little pale to me.
}>
}Somebody else writes
}>No, that's about what you get when you run UUCP over a V.32 modem.
}>
}>Try buying a Telebit modem, which includes UUCP spoofing, and watch
}>throughput jump to 1300cps or so.
}
}Is this true if there is not a telebit on the other end of the
}connection???

Of course any comm connection is going to have to have like modems on
either end.  So you must go Telebit to Telebit.  If you do that, and
things are set up correctly, you should be able to see speeds up to
about 1800cps or so.  At least that's what I see here.  It varies
depending on the site on the other end, from about 1300 to 1800.
That's outbound.  Inbound, at least with Xenix's HDB uucp, I've never
seen anything above about 1100cps.  Anyone *really* know why this is?

If you go V32 to V32 you should be able to see numbers in the
700-900cps range, slightly higher if your V32's have V42.bis.

--Bill