Fun with the XENIX kernel

Michael Galassi nerd at percy.rain.com
Tue Jan 29 12:23:58 AEST 1991

In article <396 at bria>  writes:

>One is trying to set the nodename for the machine by stuffing _node
>with the characters of my choice; in of itself, it isn't a problem.
>The problem is that uname(S) doesn't seem to load the utsname.nodename
>from _node.  Where is the nodename kept in the kernel?  And, yes,
>I know about /etc/systemid ... that ain't the point. :-)

My solution is to go to /usr/sys/conf and edit the master & xenixconf
files inserting the name you want in there.  Then type make and you
will have skirted SCO's longtime bug whereby certain names (3 & 4
characters in lengh I think) can not be configured into the kernel with
the 'configure' program.  If you do modify master and xenixconf make
sure you 'un-modify' them before you run configure next time, then
modify them again.

PS:
when will SCO (who recognizes this as a bug) fix this problem?  I
reported it along with the above workaround almost a year ago.

PPS:
I just installed fas 2.07 under sco Xenix 2.3.3 supporting 4 serial
ports (com1 - com4 in the ms-dog world), currently 3 devices are
16550s, the last one is a 16450, I use them to support two Intel
9600EXs and a Telebit TrailBlazer+ while waiting for my DigiBOARD
pc/8e to come in.  (Your board is in the mail say they!)  Overall
FAS is a very competent set of drivers.  I like!
If there is interest I will post the changes I had to make from the
documented procedure to make them run to this group.
Michael Galassi				| nerd at percy.rain.com
MS-DOS:  The ultimate PC virus.		| ...!tektronix!percy!nerd