If you have Xenix 386, run this for me

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Fri Jan 18 16:10:27 AEST 1991

In article <N025FC.91Jan17133808 at tamuts.tamu.edu> n025fc at tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Weller) writes:
>In article <1991Jan16.094432.21159 at eng.ufl.edu> jc at joker.mil.ufl.edu (Jim Castleberry) writes:
>   Someone with Xenix 386 do me a favor and try the following on your
>   machine (you'll have to be root to open the device).
>	   dd if=/dev/rhd00 of=/dev/null bs=100k count=100
>
>I did and it took 33 seconds, system load was minimal at the time.  I
>have version 2.3.3, an IDE controller and a Conner 105 meg drive.

I have an old machine, please have pity on my soul and send me new
stuff ;-)

This is a Wyse 3216 with an old WD controller and a Micropolis 71MB
drive.  It took 64 seconds :-(.  I could hear the heads stepping
off and they were going about as fast as I've ever heard them go
while actually doing anything, so I feel comfortable that 64
seconds is a fairly minimum amount of time for a 100KB block size
on this piece of hardware.  I am running 2.2.3 and had to write a
little C program because "dd" wouldn't take 100k as the block size.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."