If you have Xenix 386, run this for me

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Sun Jan 20 04:34:50 AEST 1991

In article <N025FC.91Jan17133808 at tamuts.tamu.edu> n025fc at tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Weller) writes:
>   In article <1991Jan16.094432.21159 at eng.ufl.edu> jc at joker.mil.ufl.edu (Jim Castleberry) writes:

>   Someone with Xenix 386 do me a favor and try the following on your
>   machine (you'll have to be root to open the device).
>	   dd if=/dev/rhd00 of=/dev/null bs=100k count=100
>   It's absolutely harmless - just reading 10 meg into the bit bucket.
>   I'd like to know how many seconds it took, plus your Xenix version,
>   controller type, and disk type if you know them.  I expect it to take
>   between 10 seconds and 2 minutes.

>I did and it took 33 seconds, system load was minimal at the time.  I
>have version 2.3.3, an IDE controller and a Conner 105 meg drive.

Ran this on an IBM 80, 20MHz '386, 2 megs memory, 110 Meg IBM ESDI
drive, Xenix 2.2.3, and got 1:48.9 real time using the time command.

For comparison on ESIX Unix V.2.D, with a 25 MHz '386, 8megs of memory,
8760E Maxtor ESDI drive with FFS got 0:17.9 real time.

I know you didn't ask for the latter but the two machines are about
3 feet apart so I decided, what the heck!

That makes the Xenix on IBM ~91K/sec and the Unix on generic give
about 558K/sec.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP