uucp login problems

pgd at bbt.se pgd at bbt.se
Fri Jan 11 08:14:49 AEST 1991

In article <1180 at bbx.basis.com> russ at bbx.basis.com (Russ Kepler) writes:

>Just like the documentation say it's running.  That's all.  Try
>looking at the status of ISTRIP, read the gettydefs documentation
>and tell me that getty is working correctly.  Then try to add
>ISTRIP to the gettydefs and see if there's a change.
>
>Then fix getty.

I agree fully. According to my experience, getty refuses to set ISTRIP for
the settings it issues before the prompt. For the after-prompt settings
it works.

If you have a terminal which always sets the high-bit, you are finished.
You can never come past the first prompt, to set ISTRIP at the second setting.
I can't remember what I did to finally  get it working, but looking in
the /etc/gettydefs, the terminal setting for that terminal brand is:
... CS7 # SANE CS8 ISTRIP ...
If you tell getty it is a 7-bit line, it will ignore the 8th bit.

You can always use the AUTO setting, to skip the first tty setting
from getty. But then you get some other problems with the login
program.....

P. Garbha