uucp login problems

Ed Hew edhew at xenitec.on.ca
Sat Jan 5 18:35:37 AEST 1991

In article <13176 at scorn.sco.COM> paulz at sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) writes:
>	[....]
>Make sure that the 'z' at the beginning of the entry is the first
>character on the line.  Change your /etc/ttys file so that 'z' is the
>index character.  (In other words, change the line in /etc/ttys to read
>0ztty1A - or whatever is appropriate for your system.) You should now be
>able to log in at 2400 baud using 7-bits and even parity.
>
>If desired, you can create additional entries for other baud rates, and
>connect them in a group, similar to the 3-2-1 group in the stock
>/etc/gettydefs file.
>
>Of course, once you do this, no-one can log in on that line using
>8-bits/no parity.

While I've never had a need to do this, is there any reason why
someone couldn't lengthen the cycling to include the currently
gettydefs entries in the cycle?  Of course, they'd want to notify
their existing uucp callers to lengthen their chat scripts to
include a few more "ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:" sequences if they
currently expect getty to use one of the standard entries,
especially if things are suddenly set to start at the new "z"
entry you mention.

That's one of the nice things about /etc/gettydefs and /etc/ttys
(or inittab under UNIX).  You can mix and match and be creative
if you have to.  :-)

--
  Ed. A. Hew  <edhew at xenitec.on.ca>,  XeniTec Consulting Services
  or if you're really stuck:  ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!eah