TCP/ip servers

Brian Evans Esq bevans at tanus.oz.au
Sun Jan 6 17:16:02 AEST 1991

klarich at d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME) writes:
>In article <114 at embassy.nsi.com> lance at embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>>I would like to use my Xenix system as a mail and news server for PCs
>>and Macs in my group.  Has anyone compiled nntp or POP2 or POP3 for
>>Xenix386?  Does the code have to be site specific or can the binaries be
>>transferred and used on other Xenix386 systems?
>>

>I use mmdf on my xenix 386 2.3.3 macine.  I know it has a pop server; but,
>I have never played with it.  I just use the local and uucp channels.
>Also, the mh distribution has a pop interface.  I would recommend mmdf for
>a mail server.  I can't help with the news.  I don't know enough about news
>to comment.

I have been doing some testing with the list processor on SCO UNIX and it
seems to satisfy most of my requirements on first glance.  It works a lot like
a listserv on bitnet in functionality.  I would have a go at configuring mmdf
on SCO UNIX first before moving to another piece of software.  As for the
news, I have just received a copy of nntp but have not looked at it yet.
Comments forthwith when I have had a chance to look in the next couple of days

 _--_|\        Brian Evans      Internet: bevans at tanus.oz.au
/      \       P.O Box 232    Compu$erve: 72500,1355 | Fax: +61 3 412-1551
\_.--._/       Avondale Heights, 3034            VoiceMail: +61 3 506-1629
      v        Victoria, Australia