SCO Support

Steve Foster steve at fossrv.UUCP
Thu Jun 27 05:20:10 AEST 1991

Have any other folks had a free view of SCO bottom via TechSupport?

I called SCO to ask about what drivers for what cards are supported in
XenixNet 1.3.  Sales, did not know, you get connected to media.  Media
says were are not technical, call tech support, transfer back to sales.
Phone called gets dropped.

Call SCO tech Support.  Tech support(huh) wants keycard number. Deliver
said item.  Ask question "Customer has XenixNet 1.2 with Xlan Tcp/ip and
would like more speed, what drivers does V1.3 support?"  Answer "We need
the customers keycard number to see if he has support." Flame SCO for ha-
ving IQ of lizard.

SCO provides "MAN with ANSWER".   V1.3 supports "snicker" IBMPC lan card.
"You can buy it at swap meets. or junk pile." Anything else requires TCP/IP
 Vxxxxxxxh.  Ask question "Customer has to junk all hardware and software?".

Answer "Thats old technology.  You need OUR proper solution."  Ask "What about
rumor 1 year ago that Netbios on WD cards?".  Answer "Need TCP/IP". Oh well.

Ya know, for that forty five minute excursion, I could have had "A round the
world trick" in Nevada for more fun.  SCO gets to be more like a "tooth extra-
ction" everytime I deal with them.  Please note that thier "Softcare Support"
costs $100 a month.  Thats $1200 dollars a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its cheaper to by a new version every year than it is to buy support. What kind
of assholes have they become? I guess its time to look for another vendor for
"Unix" solutions.  Didn't AT&T just license Interactive?

Wouldn't it be possible to have a BBS or such for 100 bucks a year? Most other
companies have found that to be decent approach.  What about a "900" style phonenumber?  Also, why does it take SCO 15 minutes to answer the phone?

I have called SCO three times in the last two years.  I have (my cutomer paid)
to find out that a SCO bug/problem caused the need for a call.  Seems like a
neet "confidence" (CON?) game to me.

SCO is well done the road that Novell has proceded as far as the consultant
is concerned; (Thanks for getting the customer base; now we want it all...).
They are doing this by pricing dealers out of the ability to compete on a fair
basis.

							Thanks,

								Steven Foster
								805 943-3832