SCO Support

Fred Rump fred at compu.com
Sat Jun 29 02:34:31 AEST 1991

steve at fossrv.UUCP (Steve Foster) writes:

>I called SCO to ask about what drivers for what cards are supported in
>XenixNet 1.3.  Sales, did not know, you get connected to media.  Media
>says were are not technical, call tech support, transfer back to sales.

        Steve, nobody like to pay for something called support. Our
        customers hate to get a bill every month for something they think
        they should get for free. We hate to pay SCO and many others
        money for a product we never really think is worth the price.

        Yet, support is the most critical ingredient in keeping customers
        happy all the way down the line to the end user who finally must
        pay the bill. Companies that don't offer good support will not be
        around for the long run. The problem is that people need to be
        around to wait for our calls and find answers to our crazy
        questions.

        Sometimes our problems are more ancient than the people we talk
        with. I mean if I ask you about pip, stat and bdos you might be
        stumped as you never even heard of the stuff. Yet, these things
        used to be second nature to many of us in the old CP/M days.

        Things change. Xenix is slowly going away and folks aren't really
        running around creating new hardware solutions to old operating
        systems. There's simply no money in it.

        Therefore the suggested solution to get with more current
        technology if the customer wants better response time. Most of
        our business comes from our existing customers who have needs of
        growth and change and we adjust accordingly. We also try to keep
        everyone as current as possible with all their various software
        pieces so that obsolescence is delayed. Remember - everything
        will be obsolete any day soon now. Usually we're still waiting
        for the latest fix.

        On the subject of wasting time on the phone - don't do it. Use
        e-mail. It works pretty well as far as I can tell and needs no
        attendance or waiting around for someone to answer.

        Also remember that if SCO were as bad as you claim they are, they
        wouldn't be the leading force in small multi-user systems in the
        world. Nobody is perfect - especially not us resellers. If we
        were we wouldn't need support, right? We'd know it all.

        Fred
--
Fred Rump              | 'A little learning is a dangerous thing/Drink deep
CompuData, Inc.        | or taste not the Pierian spring'    Alexander Pope