creation of biz.sco.{opendesktop,general,announce}

Ed Hew happily using ksh eah at xenitec.on.ca
Wed May 1 17:54:18 AEST 1991

Since posting to biz.config:

> Proposal to create biz.sco.{opendesktop,general,announce}

I've received a number of enthusiastic replies including comments
from sysadmins who intend to propogate it, and zero opposition.

In keeping with the accepted method of newgroup creation within
the biz hierarchy, and as I had promised...

>   [....], I propose to create these groups at the end of this
> month (April), barring any unlikely consensus to the contrary.

I will newgroup these tommorrow (well, it's one day late) and
submit the appropriate information to the people who announce
such things in their regular postings.

For current newsgroup and mlist subscribers, please be advised
that there may be some disruption of gated articles during the
switchover to the new groups.  Then if all goes smoothly (Murphy,
go away...) we can all be pleased about it.  Mlist subscribers
should be aware that none of the existing submissions and admin
addresses will change in the near future.

For those not familiar with the discussion:

> [...]
> April, with the explicit intention of enabling better
> propogation to sites (particularily outside of North America)
> than is currently possible, while still not burdening mainstream
> USENET with yet another comp group.
>
> I suggest it's a fairly safe assumption that the new biz group
> would continue on with the high signal/noise ratio we now
> enjoy in sco.opendesktop, and that the proposed switch won't
> prove a problem for current subscribers.
>
> Note the companion bi-directionally gated mailing list
> (scoodt at xenitec.on.ca) for those who can't get NEWS will
> continue as before.

> intended to provide a communications vehicle for interested
> parties to provide, request, submit, and exchange information
> regarding the configuration, implementation, and use of SCO's
> Open Desktop operating system and the various applications
> and peripheral products which it supports.
>
> SCO Open Desktop is a UNIX-based complete graphical operating
> system produced by The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.  The system
> includes UNIX, a DOS hosting facility, OSF/Motif graphical user
> interface, a relational database facility, and networking components
> (TCP/IP and NFS).  The system comes in a basic OS version for
> single user workstation, a development system, and also a server
> configuration.
>
> We recognize the need for the free exchange of ideas and information
> about SCO Open Desktop for the benefit of all interested parties, be
> they a developer, var, oem, reseller or enduser.
>
> Software and applicable hardware considerations are valid topics.
> SCO will take an active, but not dominant role in this newsgroup/mlist.

> SCO products and topics.  While the operation of that mlist has
> not been without it's problems, it's readership seems to fluctuate
> between 300 and 400 subscribers at any given time, sufficient
> to warrant making these discussions available to anyone
> interested in receiving it as a newsgroup.  (I also intend to fix
> its companion mlist duplication problem by moving it's distribution
> to a more stable site than the current list maintainer uses).
> This evolutionary path is being chosen with the participation
> of Dave Armbrust who will continue the administration of the
> companion gated mailing list, which will likely undergo a name
> change to "scogen at uunet.uu.net" on implimentation.
>
> Charter:  For exchange of information and discussions regarding
>           all products from Santa Cruz operations.  This group
> 	    will be beneficial to any one interested or currently
> 	    using SCO products.

> biz.sco.announce:
>
> As there are many users of SCO products (not to mention resellers)
> who have been longing for a nice concise method of receiving
> product announcements in a news format, I propose to create
> biz.sco.announce to fill this need.  The announcements newsgroup
> would be moderated (to keep it strictly factual) and followups
> and discussions would be directed to biz.sco.general .

This is being crossposted to the mainstream news.groups so that
people who don't often read biz.config are enlightened.  :-)

I'll post a newsgroup<=>mlist relationship chart and details to
the new biz.sco newsgroups, biz.config and comp.unix.xenix.sco .
--
  Ed. A. Hew,  <edhew at xenitec.on.ca>  ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!eah
  XeniTec Consulting Services, Kitchener, ON, Canada (519) 570-9848