restore(C) error: too many inodes (Arghh)

Richard Ronteltap I87 rontelta at fwi.uva.nl
Wed May 1 23:31:47 AEST 1991

A friend of mine has the following problem:

He has XENIX/386 2.3.1 and a 120MB disk with one 120MB partition.
His system was backed up with backup(C) an a 120MB tape. Due to
hardware failure he lost some critical and large data files. Using
restore(C), however, gives the message 'too may inodes'. Even
when used to restore only one file.

So: Big Arghhh

Is there a limit on the number of inodes that restore can handle? It
seems so. The silly and dangerous thing is that backup(C) worked ok
and gave no error messages. I think the backup on the tape is in tact.

Maybe there is an upgrade for the restore program with increased
limits? Does restore malloc() the space for the inodes? I.e. can
more memory solve the problem?

German XENIX support wasn't very helpfull. Can anyone here help?
The guy has been off-line for allmost two weeks now...

Richard
(rontelta at fwi.uva.nl)