UUCP over TCP/IP under SCO Xenix 2.3.2

CSSE LAN Test Account lan_csse at netrix.nac.dec.com
Thu May 23 06:08:21 AEST 1991

In article <6361 at vela.acs.oakland.edu> srodawa at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
>In article <_I5B8V7 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In article <1991May7.203740.9416 at tygra.Michigan.COM> jp at tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
>>> Has anyone successfully gotten HDB UUCP to carry on a conversation
>>> over a TCP/IP link??
>>
>>Yes.
>
>You are just whetting our appetites!  How did you do it?  The documents
>are completely silent on this matter.  I would really appreciate a
>debriefing on just how you did this.  I'm sure others would too.

On systems that have TCP drivers in uucico and/or uucpd, the usual way
is to create a Systems (or L.sys) entry somewhat like:

sysname time device class address     login_sequence
phubar  Any  TCP    TCP   16.20.176.7 in:--in ...

I.e., the device and class fields are both TCP, and the address field
is the IP address instead of the phone number.  The TCP may have to
be lower case for it to work.  I recall seeing one system in which the
device was the interface name (ln0 or se0 or ...), but I don't think
this is usually needed, because packets should be handed to IP for
routing and uucico shouldn't have to care which interface is used.

You might try some combinations of these and see what sort of error
messages you get. If the TCP value is unknown, then you probably don't
have TCP support; if you get address rejections, you probably do have
TCP support but the above format isn't quite right.

You might also harass your vendor, telling them that we told you that uucp
works over TCP and you want to know how to configure it...

I'd look it up in the manuals, but this is an Ultrix system that is well
behind the times in such matters.  If someone has a manual with examples,
how about posting one or two and telling us what kind of system it is...