UUCP process seems to trash the modem port ??

Clint Quah clint at aablue.com
Tue May 14 01:23:24 AEST 1991

Hi all,

	I am really frustrated by this problem on our system and desperately
seeking solutions. First of all, I am running ESIX system 5.3 on an EVEREX
386 PC which is employed as an UUCP server on our system. The problem I en-
coountered is that from time to time, after the UUCP daemons finish its
process, the modem port is disconnected for no reason (the modem is a TELEBIT
T2500) which shows that DTR signal is off and only MR is on. When this occurs,
I usually go ahead to kill the old getty on the modem port and a new getty
will spawn right away but this does not solve the problem as I issue the
command "cu -l /dev/tty00", I get the error message that access to device
(modem) failed and the only solution is to reboot the system which I consider
as quite irrational.

	Any suggestions or comments or experience will be appreciated.

Clint.