Xenix-Digiboard Problems

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Mon May 27 16:16:16 AEST 1991

tomj at pnet16.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) writes:

> [ Stuff deleted ]
>
>DTK 80386 at 25Mhz with 64K cache, 4M Ram
>330M Imprimus EDSI, 1.2M Floppy
>PC/Xe Digiboard 8 Port Serial I/O (7 ea PM2400SA Practical Perhipherals)
>                                  (1 ea T2500 Telebit Trailblazer)
>Archive 60M Tape Drive
>Relisys VGA with ATI WonderCard
>NO printer
>
>Anyone have any other hints?

I personally think it's the DTK motherboard.  There's a documented problem
with the DTK motherboard in running it under Novell Netware.  Deals with the
386 going in and out of protected mode along with possibly V86 mode.  I have
no great love for DTK.  Any motherboard that requires a Novell certified patch
to run Netware makes me very suspicious and dubious about running Unix or
Xenix under it.

Have you tried a non-DTK motherboard?  Such as an AMI or Micronics?  It
doesn't have to be a name brand, just non-DTK.  A generic 386 board with an
Intel or C&T chip set may do the job for you.  Just avoid those that don't use
the AMI or Phoenix BIOS.

If somebody is running VP/ix, it would not surprise me one bit if your DTK
motherboard is locking up on you.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca