sco xenix troff: dumb questions

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Sat Dec 3 07:57:18 AEST 1988

In article <3336 at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kinmonthprep at deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
| (1)
| Is all the "Imagen" stuff that comes with SCO Xenix useful
| for anything? I've asked around the University and have
| found only one person of even claims to have heard of the
| company (okay, so it is an agricultural school).

  Works fine on an Imagen printer. I don't recall any other proprietary
format being portable, either.

| (2)
| Why does SCO supply an ancient version of troff with
| drivers for great devices like model 33 teletypes? Is this
| because they make more money on their Lyrix word processor?

I believe that the version of troff supplied is the latest. You have
perhaps confused this with 'ditroff' which is a diferrent product with
similar function. They supply it because it is what they have as a
licensed product.

For about the same money you can get eroff from Elan and have a product
which goes to your LaserJet printers. I don't know about Postscript, but
someone will indoubtedly post an answer ;-)

My biggest complaint about the nroff is that when you order 386
"complete Xenix" you get the nroff compiled for the 8086. Needless to
say performance is really bad. I was very unhappy with my version for
speed, although it does what I want eventually. I use troff as my idle
daemon for anything big, set the nice to 19 and let it crawl in the
background.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)