making SCO Xenix answer the phone

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Wed Dec 14 01:46:39 AEST 1988

In article <1988Dec12.074847.25955 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, romwa at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) writes:
> Sorry, I lost the article to which I'm replying but Jay Libove
> was having trouble getting a modem to respond to "AT" command
> strings sent by the shell. (echo "AT S0=1" >> /dev/tty1a)
>
> I had the same trouble and concluded that it had to do with
> the sensitivity of the speed with which the modem accepted
> characters.

	Very definitely so.  Some modems are stupid, and cannot receive
characters faster than about 10 cps.

> First of all, I think you must get the attention of the
> modem with "+++".  This was the string that would not go down
> the pipe for us.

	If the modem is in command mode you don't need this.  This is
only needed to get the modem's attention while you are communicating with
another system.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.