Trouble with uucp/cu/dialing sharing a phone line

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Fri Dec 23 01:37:16 AEST 1988

In article <517 at uceng.UC.EDU>, rsexton at uceng.UC.EDU (robert sexton) writes:
> Hello.  I'm currently evaluating Xenix 2.2.3 286.  We are trying to get
> uucp to share a line with dialup.  We are using BNU uucp.  cu has worked
> in the past, but it now gives us ERROR:sytem not in systems file.  The
> remote system is in the Systems file.  Is it possible to get xenix
> to do both dialup and cu on the same line?  It seems we can get the
> system to answer the phone reliably, or to dial out reliably, but not both.
> Does xenix pay attention to /etc/inittab? I have uugetty set up, but that
> does not seem to help anything.  Whenever cu uses the modem, it drops
> dtr when it finishes the conversation, and turns off autoanswer.  I am
> then left with a modem which will not answer the phone.  Help would be much
> appreciated.  thanks.

Who's BNU are you using?  SCO didn't have it available until the 2.3
release.  It sounds like you are using the SCO getty with someone's else
BNU.  The SCO getty has to be disabled if it is active by calling the
ungetty program.

Also, Xenix does not pay attention to inittab.  It uses the /etc/ttys
file instead.

Conclusion:  Get the 2.3 release from SCO.  It is a cleanly integrated
environment in which everything works.  I know it might not be available
yet, but give them a call.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
--