SCO Xenix System Hang

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Tue Dec 13 01:33:41 AEST 1988

In article <766 at wasatch.UUCP>, kessler%cons.utah.edu at wasatch.UUCP (Robert R. Kessler) writes:
> We are having problems with SCO 386 Xenix and are looking for some help.
>
> Here is the scenario:
>
> Our customer is running on an IBM PS 2/80, 20 Mhz, with a Hostess
> multiport board.  They run about 6 concurrent users.  We have
> installed the latest version of Xenix (2.2.? -- I don't recall which
> exactly).
>
> Our applications are all written in RM/COBOL supported by Austec.
>
> Our customer arrives in the morning around 6 am and starts using a
> terminal or two.  By 9 am they are up to full strength running all 6
> terminals.  When a user runs our software, they all login with the
> same user id which starts executing our own user interface shell
This is a very bad idea.  We had a customer who did the same thing.  The
system would hang if too many people would log on using the same id.
Make sure they use  different ids.  Otherwise it seems that internal
system tables  are getting filled up.

Also, how much memory is in the system?  We figure that the base system
needs about 1 meg, and then we add 512k for each additional terminal.  It
seems to work.   As I understand RM/Cobol is a memory hog.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.