VT100 termcap extras

Tom Yager tyager at mkunix.DEC.COM
Sun Feb 14 15:14:02 AEST 1988

This might be old news by now, but I just discovered it myself & haven't
seen anything similar posted here in a while.

I spent a good deal of money on a Visual 603 terminal (nice, by the way)
only to find that it performed poorly in vi. Specifically, delete line
put up the "@" character instead of deleting, insert line repainted the
entire screen each time, and insert character redrew everything to the
right of the cursor. Some of this was just annoying at 9600 baud, but
someone dialing in & trying to use "vi" could have some real problems.

I added the following entries the the standard SCO termcap entry for the
VT100. I've tested them and checked DEC documentation to see if these
features are also available for the real VT100: they are. Your terminal
may require delay settings on some of these. Here's the new entries:

   al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:dc=\E[P:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l:mi:

If you're using a VT100 emulation, be wary of the "im" and "ei" entries
above--your emulation has to be pretty tight to support these. If you
have problems inserting characters in 'vi' after making these changes,
remove the "im" and "ei" entries and try again.

--
Tom Yager, Digital Ultrix Support ("It MUST be the hardware!")
U.S. Mail: DEC, 14 Walkup Drive YWO/C9, Westborough, MA 01581